Sunday, May 8, 2011

Homemade Granola!

So- a couple weeks ago, I realized that I didn't want to have to buy much of anything anymore. 
Especially if I could make it myself! Example: jewelry, food, clothes, accessories, decorations... you get the point... 
My favorite breakfast cereal was no exception, so I started searching and found this GREAT recipe! 

Thank you to my friend Tracy for letting me re-post her amazing creation!! 

So here we go. Homemade Granola. (No High Fructose Corn Syrup- Bleck!)

Ingredients: 
  • 4 cups Quick cooking oats
  • 1/4 cup Flax seed (ground, OR you can grind the whole seeds yourself with a hammer. Just kidding- use a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle. :) 
  • 1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
  • 1/2 cup Pecans (chopped) I used store bought pieces.
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (I used shredded)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • pinch of Salt

  • 1/4 cup Honey
  • 1/3 cup Vegetable or Canola Oil 
  • 1/2 cup Brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract


*Next time I make this, I am going to add dried fruit.


Put all the dry ingredients (first section) in a large bowl and mix it really well.



Put all the 'wet' ingredients (second section) into a small pot, except for the vanilla. 
Stir while you bring to a boil. 
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. 


Pour mixture over the dry ingredients and Stir like crazy!
(keep it in the bowl, but I mean stir it really well...) 
Try not to eat yet. :)


Cover a pan (I used a cookie sheet with edges) with parchment paper.
Bake @325 F for 20-25 minutes. I stirred mine about halfway through baking to make sure it didn't burn. After it is cooled on the pan, store in an air tight container in refrigerator. 

I like mine just like cereal- in a bowl with milk, and topped with fresh fruit. 
(Raspberries, bananas or strawberries are good) 
 Mark likes his on top of vanilla yogurt- parfait style. :) 
Either way, ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment